Benefits of a Wetland Assessment
A wetland assessment is essential to gain insights into the current state of a wetland ecosystem, helping to make informed land management decisions, assess environmental health, and develop strategies to protect these critical natural habitats.
Wetlands have many environmental benefits, including flood control, water quality and wildlife habitat. They can also act as carbon stores and are of significant cultural importance for Māori.
The National Environmental Standard for Freshwater (NES-F) came into effect in September 2020 and was designed to protect natural inland wetlands, urban and rural streams, and to ensure connectivity of fish habitat (fish passage).
If you are considering carrying out works in an area surrounding a wetland, or if you are unsure if a wetland is present on your site, our wetlands team of specialists can assist.
We offer a full range of services from desktop assessments, rapid wetland assessment to full wetland delineations. All carried out in accordance with industry best practice and the relevant protocols.
Wetland Assessments Services
Wetland services provided by us include:
- Wetland identification – both desktop (remotely) and on-site
- Defining the type and ecological value of wetlands
- Determining the extent of the wetland (wetland delineation)
- Classification of wetlands in accordance with the SEA criteria
- Assessing impacts from development or activities on wetlands
- Providing practical alternatives and solutions to mitigate any impacts
- Compiling wetland management (pest and weed plans) and restoration plans
- Monitoring of wetlands
If you are unsure, or if you would like further information, please contact our friendly team of ecologists today