Thomas Consultants is a growing multi-disciplinary company that offers planning, engineering and related services on a range of resource management projects across the Auckland region.
Our Planning team is rapidly growing and we are looking for an exceptional planner to join our vibrant and progressive teams in the West and South. You will have a tertiary qualification in Planning or Resource Management with at least 3 years proven experience in these areas and ideally be a member of the NZ Planning Institute.
You will become part of a challenging and rewarding work environment that will provide you with great career advancement opportunities within a supportive team culture. The company offers work/life balance, and offers you competitive remuneration and the ability to enjoy a commute outside the city. We have strong company values which extend to our clients and our staff.
If you are looking for a new career opportunity in planning, where you can enjoy a variety of interesting work within in an exciting and dynamic team, then this is the position for you.
Job tasks and responsibilities
Your ability to work both collaboratively and independently will see you excel as you project manage and prepare resource consent applications for a variety of different developments and activities. Your knowledge and skills will assist others in the team, and your networking skills will see you build relationships with external parties such as private clients, Auckland Council, Government Agencies and others.
Your leadership and management skills will assist you in your key responsibilities:
- Project managing and coordinating technical experts on a range of different private development projects
- Providing strategic advice to clients on planning and regulatory matters, including consenting strategies for complex projects
- Excellent working knowledge of RMA and related planning documents, and understanding/reporting on developments in planning legislation, case law, and within the resource management industry.
- Planning advice and technical support to team members, including peer reviewing.
- Involvement in company projects to support and enhance planning services.
- Preparation of resource consents for private clients.
- Processing of resource consents for Council, as necessary.
Skills and experience
You will need to have at least 5 years’ experience (preferably including some private sector experience) and have managed high profile, complex projects with a good track record. It is expected that you will have experience in hearings, and Environment Court experience would also be beneficial. A full NZPI membership is preferred.
Your experience will be complemented by the following skills:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Sound negotiation skills and ability to influence
- Attention to detail with good follow through
- Ability to lead projects, teams & work independently when required
- Effective planning advice and technical assistance to other planners
- Ability to achieve and deliver on service level agreements with clients
- Meet quality requirements of the company
- Customer orientation and focus evident in any work undertaken.
- Positive working relationships with Thomas Consultant staff and our clients
Job benefits and perks
This Senior Planner position will allow you to work in a friendly, progressive, planning team and alongside specialists in a range of different disciplines that will enable you to broaden and enrich your skills and experience in the resource management industry. Our workload is dynamic, challenging, and fast paced, and our team culture is lively and supportive.
The company offers work/ life balance, flexible start time, work from home on occasion, competitive remuneration and the ability to enjoy a commute outside the city. We have clear company values and a company culture people notice and enjoy.
You will be joining a company offering a variety of work disciplines and a finalist in the 2016 Westpac West Auckland Employer of the Year, as well as winning numerous business awards.
This is an opportunity to expand your career in a role where your experience and opinions can help shape the strategic direction of a fast-growing team.
This role offers a competitive remuneration package and ongoing professional development to ensure the company and its staff progress in the industry. You will be joining a vibrant and busy team and a company that is progressive, that knows you have a life outside work and treats you with value as an individual.
All candidates must have relevant NZ experience to apply.